After Freshman Orientation the students where sent to their first period classes. Our young “heroes” all have first hour together…
* Science with Vice Turnagen
First hour was with the Science/Home Room Teacher Mr. Turnagen. Students soon realized that Mr. Turnagen was no push over. He was the only teacher to make a Seating Chart for the class and expected them to adhere to it perfectly each day.
There was no class “get to know each other” portion and he went right into the lesson of the day which was mostly focusing on disproving Einstein’s Theory of Relativity…
* Math with Cornelius Whitewood
Math with Mr. Whitewood is always interesting. But it was not the teacher that students first met. It was a beautiful barn owl named Archimedes that sat at the front corner of the class. It was noted that Mr. Whitewood’s classroom was the more beautiful out of all the ones in Byron Falls. The whole north wall was floor to ceiling windows, his desk was 1800’s and hand carved with oak leaves and ivy all around the base and legs, even the walls were wood paneling making for a comfortable learning environment.
- Kelvin did well in Math getting homework done in class and made friends with Archimedes
* Computer Skills with Alo Grey-Crow
Though the computers at Byron Falls are not a archaic as one might think to expect, they are not “new” by any standard. There are no sleek Apples here and you are lucky if your computer runs at all. Upon arrival students where informed by Mr. Grey-Crow that they are welcomed to use the computers at any time of day during school hours, but they are not allowed in this room without Mr. Grey-Crow present. He even had them sign a contract stating they promised not to come into this room without him….
- Roxanne “Rocky” Roads broke her computer in class. Know one knows what exactly she did but all of a sudden the computer started to smoke and spark. Mr. Grey-Crow promptly took it out of the class room and put it in the hall way. He called up Conner Seath to clean it up.
- Malstrom “Mal” Highwind rebuilt and reprogrammed his computer, having it now run Linux. But at the end of class he thinks his computer winked at him.
* Home Economics with Loa Boutin
Home Ec. is an inviting place. It is a large white room with many stoves and ovens and tables to work on and with. No matter when you walk in it is warmer then any other place on campus but not uncomfortably. It smells of spices and goodies all the time. Miss Boutin is always smiling and eager to help students learn the joy of “baking and making”.
- Loraine “Lolly” LaRue did very well in Home Ec. Not only did her chocolate chip cookies come out perfect, but when she pulled them from the oven they were unexpectedly in the shape of hearts.
* Served by Maggie Munch
The title of what lunch is may change everyday but it always looks about the same. A ground meat-like product covered in a gelatine brown gravy served with a supposed vegitable and “treat”. All the food is always a beige/brown color and seems too be scrapped from a can. Today’s menu included Salisbury Steak with beef gravy, corn, and cobbler… but no fruit…
- Roxanne “Rocky” Roads and her gang started the food fight. At first they did not get caught as the instigators. It was only after Rocky held a lighter under one of the fire sprinklers did she get singled out by Mulo Delano and got detention for one night with him instead of her punishment for Vice Turnagen’s class.
- Kelvin Fibonacci talked with his home school friend Layan House and gave her some sushi to help her settle in. He also started a rumor that the school food was made with bits of “Mad Maggie” falling into the gravy tub. When the food fight started he just sat there eating ignoring it all, but left right before Mulo Delano got there, getting Layan out as well.
- Malstrom “Mal” Highwind started his run for Home Coming King. He met up with the popular kids from the Sophomore class and got Zane Brady’s vote. As soon as the food fight started and after one round of food hit Loraine “Lolly” LaRue, Mal rushed to get her out and made sure no more food hit her. Mal was never hit with any food.
- Loraine “Lolly” LaRue started an 11 week trend with Ami Adams. The two girls made their Japanese Hair Barrettes the talk of the school, but Lolly made sure that no extra cute Butterfly ones would be available except for herself.
* Foreign Languages with Cynthia Goga
Ms. Goga is a fairly dramatic woman, she over pronunciates her words and draws out her sentences.
Currently she is teaching Latin.
- Kelvin Fibonacci did very well. In fact he convinced the teacher that if he aces the midterm that she would teach him the schools motto from an ancient Latin dialect.
* Shop with Durin Brogan
Mr. Brogan announced one thing right away. His name was Mr. Brogan, not Mr. Bro… and if any students called him the latter there would be hell to pay. He rev’ed up the class with excitement talking about how shop is what America is built on and how with Shop Class you can do anything!
The class’ first assignment was to create bird houses.
- Roxanne “Rocky” Roads’s birdhouse was a death trap to squirrels but safe for birds. Made of metal it was set that if a squirrel came in it would clamp down on it, but if a bird came in it would be ok.
- Malstrom “Mal” Highwind’s birdhouse was also made of metal but was climate controlled and powered by solar power. Mr Brogan started crying because he was so proud of Mals’ work.
* English with James Charles
Upon arrival the students of 3rd Hour English noticed that Mr. Charles was still eating the food from the school cafeteria… and thoroughly enjoying it… he didn’t even notice his students had walked in and sat down until the room became uncomfortably quiet.
* Physical Education with Jumel Morris
Coach Morris welcomed the students on the Football field. He gave a long winded speech about how he hoped to take Varsity to State and how Byron Falls had not gotten there since Conner Seath was Quarter Back 4 years ago. He claimed that at one point Byron Falls won State 10 years in a row. He then proceeded to tell the students to run laps all period while he sat on a camping chair “supervising”.
- Loraine “Lolly” LaRue wasn’t the fastest runner but she looked the best doing it. Even the Jr. Varsity Team that was on the field practicing got distracted as she power walked by.
- Roxanne “Rocky” Roads was the fastest on the track and lapped Lolly.
- Malstrom “Mal” Highwind was the second fastest on the track but also managed to catch a horrible throw by the Jr. Varsity Quarter Back Zane Brady and not miss stride while doing so (plus he threw it back to Zane perfectly). Zane tried to convince the coach to put Mal on J.V. but coach said not this year because Mal was “a nerd”.
* Music with Lark Harper
There was already music coming from the Music Room as the student’s entered. The teacher sat on the chair playing an acoustic guitar, the lyrics only being heard in his own head. He informed the class to address him as “Harper. Mister Harper is my father… no really, my dad’s first name was Mister…”
- Kelvin Fibonacci came in playing the recorder. He had a custom velvet lined case and everything. But he did so bad that he ended up with detention for a week. Harper informed him it would be served with Coach Morris as he could not stay after class.
- Kelvin Fibonacci was smart enough to secure the door to the steam filled basement laundry room while he washed the Football Team’s towels.
- Loraine “Lolly” LaRue lied to her dad about what Kelvin was doing after school to protect him, but also reminded him that “he owed her…”
- Roxanne “Rocky” Roads had detention with Mr. Delano… and survived… but was warned to never be seen in this office again…
- Malstrom “Mal” Highwind road home and was almost got hit by the Mayor’s car which happens to be Lolly and Kelvins dad as he was coming to pick Lolly up…